Wikipedia Preview brings free knowledge to your site in the form of a Wikipedia article preview popup. With Wikipedia Preview, a reader can see a short summary of words or concepts in your content by hovering or tapping on the preview popup, as they read through your content page.
Wikipedia Preview is an official plugin developed and supported by the Wikimedia Foundation.
The plugin is entirely free to download and implement as it serves our non-profit’s mission to provide free knowledge for everyone.
- Leverage an enormous collection of free knowledge to provide context immediately when your readers are curious.
- Enable users to stay engaged by giving them context while they read.
- Available in over 300 languages, so you can provide, where available, context in a language different from your site.
- No need to explain a concept that is not directly related to the article you are writing, add a contextual popup instead.
- Use the same process you use today to add hyperlinks to your articles or use the Gutenberg editor custom tool.
- Handles any link to a Wikipedia article regardless of language, lead image presence or length.
- Works for Right-to-Left (RTL) and Left-To-Right (LTR) languages.
- A built-in gallery to dive into article images.
- Can be disabled for any page using the post metadata sidebar. Look for the Wikipedia Preview section.
- Gutenberg editor custom tool to search for Wikipedia articles and visualize Wikipedia Preview for readers.
How to use
Is Wikipedia Preview free?
Yes, Wikipedia Preview is free. It has been made available to you by Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit that powers Wikipedia with a mission of free knowledge equity.
Does Wikipedia Preview work on any word?
The Wikipedia Preview works with any word or phrase that has an article on Wikipedia, in any of the available languages.
When writing articles, decide which words show a Wikipedia popup on a particular post. The process of enabling the Wikipedia popup on a specific word is identical to adding a hyperlink.
After the implementation of Wikipedia Preview will there be any impact on the size of the page? Will it get laggy?
The words that will have a Wikipedia Preview popup on your site need to be annotated. Those annotations add to the page size but not more than the regular hyperlinks you already use.
Is it compatible with all the browsers?
The Wikipedia Preview is compatible with the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge (Current and previous version), Safari 5.1+, iOS 6.1+ and Android 4.1+
Please leave reviews on our Wikipedia Preview plugin page
How else can I work with the Wikimedia Foundation?
If you would like to explore a collaboration opportunity beyond Wikipedia Preview, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org