With the VideoPress Embed block, you can embed videos from VideoPress into your posts and pages. You don’t need a VideoPress account to be able to embed them, although the video-sharing option should be enabled.
Embedded VideoPress video
Steps to Embed a video from VideoPress:
- Find the video permalink
In the web player select the video and click on the “Share” button.
- In the share section, click on the permalink and it will be automatically copied, or alternatively, you can highlight the link and copy it.
VideoPress provides you three sharing options:
- Start at = true/false to exactly the time you want the video to start at.
- Loop = true/false to automatically play the video over and over.
- Autoplay = true/false to automatically play the video when it loads.
- Add a VideoPress embed block to your page/post
Detailed instructions on adding blocks can be found here.
- Paste the link into the text box and click on the “Embed” button
If it’s a link that can be successfully embedded you will see a preview in your editor.
If you use an URL that can’t be embedded, the block shows the message “Sorry, this content could not be embedded.”
You will have two choices: Try again with a different URL or convert it to a link.
- Click on “Preview” to see how it will look on the front-end
Besides the “Mover” and “Drag & Drop Handle”, the Block Toolbar for the VideoPress Embed block shows four buttons:
- Transform to
- Change Alignment
- Edit URL, and
- More Options
You can transform a VideoPress embed into a Group. This would give you the ability to change the background color around the VideoPress embed.
- Align left – Make the VideoPress post left aligned.
- Align center – Make the VideoPress post alignment centered.
- Align right – Make the VideoPress post right aligned.
- Wide width – Increase the width of the post beyond the content size.
- Full width – Extend the VideoPress post to cover the full width of the screen.
“Wide width” and “Full width” alignment need to be enabled by the Theme of your site.
Via the edit URL, you can change the VideoPress Embed URL in the embed block. Overwrite the existing URL and click on the “Embed” button.
Hide Block Settings
The Hide Block Settings option hides (or shows) the Block Setting panel in the editor’s sidebar.
Copy can be used to copy a selected block and then you can paste it wherever you want in the editor.
Duplicate can be used to duplicate selected block.
Insert a new block before the selected block(s).
Insert a new block after the selected block(s).
If you select Move To, you will get a blue line inside your content, you can then use the arrows to move that line up and down to where you want the selected content to be moved into, hitting return on your keyboard at that point moves the block to that position.
Edit as HTML
The Edit as HTML option allows you to modify the HTML code of the embed block.
Add to Reusable blocks
Using the Add to Reusable blocks option lets you add the selected block to a list of reusable blocks, so you can use them on other posts or pages as well.
Select the Group option if you want to create a group of blocks and treat them as a unit. You can for instance add a common background color or other blocks to the group.
With the Remove Block option, you can delete the selected block from your content.
Besides the Advanced section, the VideoPress embed has only one setting in the “Block Settings” sidebar: Media Settings.
Via the Media Settings, you can control the behavior of your post embed when viewed from a smaller device, like on a phone screen.
The Toggle switch turns on or off the resize functionality for smaller devices. The default setting is “on” or blue.
“Off:” This embed may not preserve its aspect ratio when the browser is resized. In the off position, the toggle switch is gray.
“On:” This embed will preserve its aspect ratio when the browser is resized. The toggle switch turns blue in the “On” position.
The advanced tab lets you add a CSS class to your block, allowing you to write custom CSS and style the block as you see fit.