Adds an avatar upload field to user profiles if the current user has media permissions. Generates requested sizes on demand just like Gravatar! Simple and lightweight.
Just edit a user profile, and scroll down to the new “Avatar” field. The plug-in will take care of cropping and sizing!
- Stores avatars in the “uploads” folder where all of your other media is kept
- Has a simple, native interface
- Fully supports Gravatar and default avatars if no local avatar is set for the user – but also allows you turn off Gravatar
- Generates the requested avatar size on demand (and stores the new size for efficiency), so it looks great, just like Gravatar!
- Let’s you decide whether lower privilege users (subscribers, contributors) can upload their own avatar
- Enables rating of local avatars, just like Gravatar
This works very well. Had a strange bug where just thumbnails was creating new ones though.
Thanks for the great plugin.
- Choose or upload an avatar from the media library (for user’s with appropriate capabilities)!
- Local avatars are rated for appropriateness, just like Gravatar
- A new setting under Discussion enables administrators to turn off Gravatar (only use local avatars)
- Delete the local avatar with a single button click (like everywhere else in WordPress)
- Uploaded avatar file names are appended with the timestamp, addressing browser image caching issues
- New developer filter for preventing automatic rescaling: simple_local_avatars_dynamic_resize
- New developer filter for limiting upload size: simple_local_avatars_upload_limit
- Upgraded functions deprecated since WordPress 3.5
- Fixed translations not working on front end (although translations are now a bit out of date…)
- Hungarian translation added (needs further updating again with new version)
- Assorted refactoring / improvements under the hood
- Brazilian Portuguese and Belarusian translations
- Bug fixes (most notably correct naming of image files based on user display name)
- Optimization for WordPress 3.2 / 3.3 (substitutes deprecated function)
- Avatar file name saved as “user-display-name_avatar” (or other image extension)
- Russian localization added
- Assorted minor code optimizations
- Support for front end avatar uploads (e.g. Theme My Profile)
- Russian localization
- Fix for avatars uploaded pre-1.2.1 having a broken path after upgrade
- French localization
- Simplify uninstall code
- Fix path issues on some IIS servers (resulting in missing avatar images)
- Fix rare uninstall issues related to deleted avatars
- Spanish localization
- Other minor under the hood optimizations
- Properly deletes old avatars upon changing avatar
- Fixes “foreach” warning in debug mode when updating avatar image
- Norwegian localization
- Italian localization
- All users (regardless of capabilities) can upload avatars by default. To limit avatar uploading to users with upload files capabilities (Authors and above), check the applicable option under Settings > Discussion. This was the default behavior in 1.0.
- Localization support; German included